My Life as a Precinct Captain

This blog will chronicle my adventures as the precinct woman for Precinct 437, Orange County, Florida, and Lake Nona NTL for OFA, leading up to the November 6, 2012 Election.

Saturday, November 26, 2011

Tool of Campaign Trade - The VAN

A key step in learning the trade of Precinct Captain is mastering the workings of the VAN, aka VoteBuilder. This software gives access to information on all registered voters in Precinct 437, with data from the Orange County Supervisor of Elections. Click on this link for a map of my precinct.


After excellent but brief training with Nancy J., I receive my login information and am ready to begin. But how? The VoteBuilder user interface is from the dawn of personal computing. The 30,000 year old paintings in the caves of Chauvet convey more meaning than the VoteBuilder icons. "Intuitive user interface" was obviously an unknown concept to the software engineers. As a friend astutely said, VoteBuilder was designed by Tip O'Neill, not Steve Jobs. I need help.


No comments:

Post a Comment