My Life as a Precinct Captain

This blog will chronicle my adventures as the precinct woman for Precinct 437, Orange County, Florida, and Lake Nona NTL for OFA, leading up to the November 6, 2012 Election.

Monday, November 28, 2011

Cutting Turf

I am now on VoteBuilder, my window on the 1,500 or so registered Democrats in Precinct 437. The map of the precinct features gray blobs congealed in large clumps in certain areas or sprinkled lightly across the landscape in others. The next step in making sense of this picture and preparing for canvassing the precinct is Cutting Turf. With this process, I can divide the vast, uncharted territory that is Precinct 437 into manageable sections. Great!

It takes hours to cut Turf No. 1, which covers the smallest part of the precinct. I am beginning to have doubts about this whole grassroots organizer idea. There is only one thing to do: call for help from the younger generation, who have a better feel for technology and more experience than I do.

Anna and Jessica answer my call. We gather around my computer in my apartment. They teach me basic technique and a few tricks. Most importantly, they give me moral support. We cut quite a bit of turf, as I make notes for my solo sessions. Then we go out for Thai food and discuss the really big political issues. Thanks, Anna and Jessica!

No comments:

Post a Comment