My Life as a Precinct Captain

This blog will chronicle my adventures as the precinct woman for Precinct 437, Orange County, Florida, and Lake Nona NTL for OFA, leading up to the November 6, 2012 Election.

Monday, August 6, 2012

Stop when you hear the police sirens!

Yesterday, the OFA Lake Nona team went out for its first canvass. In keeping with the general spirit of political campaigns, it was barely contained chaos. About half the volunteers backed out at the last minute. The few committed people who did show up at the East Park Gazebo were not seasoned canvassers. I include myself in that group; honestly, I didn't know what I was doing.

With our maps, clipboards and brochures, we broke up into two teams and headed out to knock on doors. About half way through, Ramon called me. He had the misfortune to knock on the door of the HOA president, who threatened to call the police because we did not have official HOA badges. I invoked the guidance Naomi had given us: ask for forgiveness, not permission. I persuaded the team to continue the canvass but out of visual range of the HOA official. "We will canvass until we hear the police sirens!" No sirens, no problems as we finished our shift. I talked to several people who were strong supporters of President Obama and ready to volunteer. I also spoke with a number of undecided voters; I did my best to address their concerns.

There will be more and better canvasses in the months ahead. If necessary, I will invoke my Constitutional right to be out there expressing my views. If the Supreme Court in Citizens United held that corporations are people and can basically do whatever they want in political campaigns under the First Amendment, real people should be able to do the same. Don't you think!


No comments:

Post a Comment