My Life as a Precinct Captain

This blog will chronicle my adventures as the precinct woman for Precinct 437, Orange County, Florida, and Lake Nona NTL for OFA, leading up to the November 6, 2012 Election.

Sunday, December 4, 2011

My First Democratic Party Convention

For some reason, the Florida State Democratic Party decided to hold its 2011 convention in a foreign country - Disney World. Armed with my passport, maps, and credentials, I left my apartment before 7:00 a.m. on Saturday to journey to the convention center. After crossing the border and various checkpoints, I parked in the Magic Kingdom lot and set off to find the much-touted (and, at times, fatal) Monorail. On the way, I met J., from Pinellas County, who was close to tears. She had just spent more than an hour driving through unknown lands to the main parking lot after being turned away from the convention center entrance. We hugged and pledged to stay together until we were safely inside the Democrat-controlled enclave.

Highlights of the Convention:
  • Hispanic legislators panel, with the Lt. Governor of Puerto Rico.
  • OFA workshop on voter registration process to meet new, more stringent requirements
  • Ruth's List Florida hospitality suite, with friends and new recruits to the cause
  • Feeling of belonging, as I greeted more familiar faces than I thought I would.

No comments:

Post a Comment