My Life as a Precinct Captain

This blog will chronicle my adventures as the precinct woman for Precinct 437, Orange County, Florida, and Lake Nona NTL for OFA, leading up to the November 6, 2012 Election.

Saturday, January 14, 2012

Up Close and Personal

OFA Neighborhood Team Leader Playbook: Play 1: make hundreds of calls to invite people to the first Orlando Airport Neighborhood Team meeting. Play 2: host the team meeting. Play 3: have 1-on-1's with people who came to the meeting or expressed interest but had conflicts.

The 1-on-1 is part job interview, part bonding ritual. On Friday, I had my first 2 meetings at my local Dunkin' Donuts, which does not have herbal tea. Lake Nona (aka Precinct 437) is a wasteland for coffee shops and informal meeting places so DD gets the nod. The two meetings were very different. The first volunteer had worked extensively in the 2008 campaign, and she was ready to give it her all again. I was inspired by her passion. The second prospective volunteer had had a negative experience with the campaign over the holidays, which had to be overcome. A quick call to Samuel helped. This is just the start. I can see grassroots political organizing taking over my life. That's okay. I'm In!

No comments:

Post a Comment